Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I Want to Write TVs Shows When I Grow Up


Last night, I was sitting here watching a TiVo'd episode of Desperate Housewives.

The episode was really telling four different stories in parallel:


1. Susan tried to pick between Ian and Mike

2. Edie attempted to keep Carlos via her kid

3. Lynette flirted with the chef, Rick

4. Gabrielle abused her new found mayoral power

Watching the show, I was impressed with the way the stories were advanced together and intersected and key moments. It was really cool, I thought.

You see, I study story-telling and the role of emotion. And as a former journalist, I once was a story teller. But I'm not now.

And the more I think about it, the more I am curious about the process that goes into writing a television drama. I hope, someday, to sit around one of those tables for a few weeks. I'd like to see what goes on. I'd like to see how they decide to weave plot lines together.

After measuring the effects of their handiwork for several years, I'd like to see what goes into the handiwork.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home