Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Turn Radio Off for That Sweet Sound

It may seem silly, but perhaps the best decision I have made of late is to drive to and from work with the radio off. Just silence. Me and my thoughts.

My Missouri colleague Paul Bolls did an entire media fast. I could not make it for a week. But having 20-30 minutes a day of silence is surprisingly refreshing.

It was very difficult at first. I can drive to work in under 15 minutes, and I must have automatically turned the radio on four or five times every trip.

It's nothing against the radio. It's just some small fight against the urge to be (media) stimulated every moment of every day. I think our brains have way too much background noise.

A little silence is golden.

My apologies to the Audio Prof.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! We should talk. I am thinking about doing a study about this.

I have my students doing a 48-hour media fast this term. It'll be fun to analyze their essays after the fast.

H.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you need to listen to John Cage "4'33". Only genius and idiot can understand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home