Saturday, August 02, 2008

Books, Writing, Writer's Block

Almost every time that a week elapses between blog posts, I have no idea how it happened. Where does the time go?

I'm trying to write two books chapters that are at best mildly interesting to me now. That makes writing painful, or nonexistent. This weekend, sadly, is catch up time. As I told a colleague earlier this week, knowing that you can write on deadline is dangerous knowledge to have.

I have decided that summer teaching is the absolute devil. Wednesday will mark my last summer class (the final is at 8 a.m. on Friday ... blech!) for several years -- hopefully forever.

Manuscripts are becoming covered in dust as I prepare lectures and write exams. Although I enjoy teaching, summer rather saps the fun out of it. There is no time. And, truth be told, there's not enough time for students to learn. At least part of education should be about idea percolation. And there's no time for this during the summer.

On the side, I've been reading the brilliant Einstein biography by Walter Isaacson. If you're at all interested in science, this is a great read.

Off for a quick bike ride ... my lone break from writing this weekend.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim Laubacher said...

Stop making one of our only co-author attempts ever seem so painful.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home