Friday, December 08, 2006

Tonight Sonic Drive-In Feels Like Home

Update: Posting expanded 10:53 a.m., Saturday, Dec. 9.


Yesterday I was lamenting about dragging my kids across the country.

Today I am loving Lubbock. That's how life is inside my head. Always seeing every side of everything.

Both of my classes took their finals today, and I spent the rest of the day grading. I left the office after 7 p.m. On the way home, I called the wife, and she agreed to let me bring home Sonic for dinner.

I can't tell you what home feels like, but I know what it feels like. And sitting there at the Sonic drive-in, I felt at home. I'm not sure what it was. Those times sitting at Sonic in Las Cruces felt close-at-hand. That time sitting in a Sonic near Newton, Kan., on the way to Las Cruces felt close-at-hand.

When Emily and I first moved into the apartments on Miranda Drive in Las Cruces, there was a Sonic a few blocks away (in two directions). We brought our first daughter home to that apartment. We felt like real grown ups for perhaps the first time.

Walking around campus today I kept looking up at that deep blue sky. Many days I feel as if that sky is my best friend. I wish that I had time to sit and stare at it. Wherever I live, I want it to be under that deep blue sky.

There was one Sonic in Bloomington, but then it closed. There were none in Columbus. And it has nothing at all to do with hamburgers and tater tots (but they're pretty good). It's an atmosphere. The drive-in.

Being home. I like that feeling. And that's how I feel most of the time here.

I suppose that as an adult, that's the best you can hope for: most of the time. Here I can chat with people about New Mexico, and they know what I am talking about. They've been there. They've driven the same roads. That common connection. It's a little thing, I know. But those connections are what it means to be human.

The best news is that I'll be driving those roads in two weeks! This will be the first Christmas for us in New Mexico since 1997. Damn, that makes me feel old.

1 Comments:

Blogger IUAngelini said...

It's because you are old!

We can't wait for Christmas either.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home