Monday, September 22, 2008

Morning Is the Devil: It's in My Genes

I hate mornings. Sure, they're beautiful. Sure, I like the quiet. Sure, it seems as if you should be up early.

But I hate it. I mean, I really, really hate it.

For the past year or so, I have used a light timer as an electric lamp. This is based upon some vague notion that by using light to wake up, I would help stimulate my circadian rhythm to be more of a morning person.

It doesn't help much.

This morning, I dialed my light timer back to 6:20 a.m. -- the earliest time of the semester.

A few minutes before 7 a.m., my wife yelled, "Your light has been on for an hour [exaggeration], are you ever going to get up?"

Ugh.

A few minutes later, I wandered into the kitchen, looked outside, and saw that it was still too dark out to water the grass.

Ugh.

Why in the world do people choose the make the world "happen" while it is still dark? I love the dark ... if I can watch it get that way. The other way around is just not natural.

So while eating my lunch today, I did some Googling. And I found a brilliant article from Slate, titled, "Can a Night Owl Become a Morning Person? A Slate experiment."

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim Laubacher said...

Sleep cycles are crazy.

In high school, the first bell rang at 7:00am, and I usually set my alarm for 5:30am.

Now, I'm at a point in life where I'd think I'd be more regimented and responsible. I should be to the office by 8:30am, so I set my alarm for 7:15am and struggle to get up. It confuses me.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Early to bed and early to rise
keeps a man healthy, wealthy, and wise

10:44 PM  
Blogger Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

" I hope Satan makes you stay up until 3 a.m. every day because you're clearly one of those "morning people.""
This made me laugh out loud on a morning I struggled to get out of bed, and I AM one of those "morning people". Thank you, oh hater of the early dawn.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home