Thursday, October 19, 2006

Jericho Best New Show of 2006


I like control. I do not like suspense. I enjoy the scientific method. I read nonfiction. I avoid roller coasters. I do not watch horror movies.

Despite the fact that I have a Ph.D. in television, I still close my eyes when social situations become extremely awkward on television. The movie Meet the Parents almost killed me.

So it is no surprise that I have never watched a single episode of Lost. Not my thing. I like CSI. Within an hour -- 45 minutes if I am using TiVo -- the mystery is wrapped up.

That is why I am mildly surprised that I enjoy Jericho. It's a bit of a lie for me to call it the best new show of the year, since it is the only new show that I am watching. (To get more information on the TV season, see my colleague James Angelini's Weblog).

But I am a child of the Cold War. I grew up in the age of nuclear threat. I was not allowed to watch The Day After, a nuclear mini-series also set in Kansas. It was too traumatic, my parents deemed.

So Jericho was compelling to my roots. But there's too much mystery for me. What's with the dude with the satellite dish in his back yard and his "compromised" rendezvous- point. Arrgh.

Who's the bad guy? In 1985, the bad guy was always the "Evil Empire." Today, however, political sensitivities make it a bit more delicate. The producers are better off not naming the enemy.

At any rate, I continue to watch. Jericho is not among TiVo's 25 most recorded shows for this week, so I may be the only one watching. It may soon be a fatality on part of my cancelled television shows research project.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch The Office.

You won't be sorry.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say, I did watch it. And I thought it was one of the worst television shows I have ever seen.

I know it's a cult classic, but all of the acting seemed forced. It just was not funny to me.

The wife agreed. She said, "There's a half hour of my life I will never get back."

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you are, but what am I?

9:03 AM  
Blogger IUAngelini said...

I just don't get The Office. I've watched it twice and kept thinking, "Who finds this funny?"

Jericho on the other hand is awesome. And it was one of CBS' first series to get picked up for the entire season. So you'll have 22 episodes to try to figure out who bombed the U.S. and what that guy is doing with the satellite dish in the middle of it all.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home