Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Beauty of Within-Subjects Designs

All things today have culminated with experimental design. First, I am writing a conference paper on the statistical power of within-subjects experiments. Yes, I know. Nerd.

Secondly, I guest lectured on experimental design in front of Todd Chambers' graduate research methods class. It's always fun talking to young scholars. I remember that intro methods course like it was 1999.

Thirdly, I am sitting in the *$&#ing lab at 7:43 p.m. at night running subjects because I chose to do an inherently between-subjects design experiment. So we need 240 subjects. Ugh. Number 30 just walked through the door, and this is the end of the fourth day of data collection. I can do the math. I don't like it.

At Indiana (yes, it was a paradise), we had five laptops for these types of studies. Throw them in a room, and hurl five subjects at a time at the project. Things went quickly. Oh, how I miss those laptops.

My "slacker" co-author James Angelini could have been running the study at Indiana on the infamous laptops. But he is busy working on a dissertation, so I suppose he gets a pass.

2 Comments:

Blogger IUAngelini said...

We have SIX laptops now.

-The Slacker

2:10 PM  
Blogger Samuel D. Bradley said...

That means your slacking has increased by 20%!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home