Sunday, May 18, 2008

Toys from Google Labs: Finding Sets

I stumbled across a toy under development at Google, Google Sets. If I am reading things correctly, this particular tool must not be under very active development because I believe its inception date was 2002.

At any rate, the basic idea of the tool is to enter up to five search terms, and the algorithm will attempt to make either a Small Set (15 items or fewer) or a Large Set from those items.

For example, if you enter titles of reality television shows, it returns more reality shows.

However, it appears to be a bit useful for stalking.

I entered my name and the names of two former colleagues, "samuel bradley", "yongkuk chung", and "mija shin". If you do that and click Large Set, you get a pretty nice list of my former colleagues in the Institute for Communications Research at Indiana University.

Cool ... and spooky.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim Laubacher said...

Sometimes I use google sets rather than using a thesaurus. If you're looking for another word for a word or words you know, it can help to see what other words are searched in similar situations on google.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home