Sunday, May 04, 2008

Artificial Intelligence: My Current Passion

Reading some social network site or the other, I saw that colleague James Angelini said it has been a year since his graduation ceremony at Indiana University.

That means that it's been three years since my own graduation. It may not seem like that long, but it seems like an eternity to me.

It's been a great three years at Ohio State and Texas Tech, but one part of my brain has not received much attention: computational modeling.

My love for these models flourished at Indiana's program in cognitive science. That program is among the handful of top programs in the world, and it marked the three greatest intellectual years of my life.

I'm slowly working on a project with Tim Laubacher, former OSU master's student and current Columbus, Ohio, advertising executive. This is the first new computational idea in a while, and it is quite exciting.

Nonetheless, I am reminded of he dormancy of this part of my brain on days such as today when I open the New York Times to read:
Pursuing the Next Level of Artificial Intelligence
Published: May 3, 2008
Daphne Koller’s work has led to advances in artificial intelligence that can be used to predict traffic jams, improve machine vision and understand the way cancer spreads.
Ah, I wish that I were doing work such as this!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger IUAngelini said...

I'm actually quite surprised that you have not kept up with this. I didn't realize that it had fallen by the wayside as much as it has in your research.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Samuel D. Bradley said...

Irony: James Angelini comments that he "didn't realize that it had fallen by the wayside as much as it has in your research."

Then, moments later, he sends me a message on Facebook reminding me to work on a paper of his.

This is the story of my life.

12:50 PM  
Blogger IUAngelini said...

This made me laugh.

Complete disconnect in my brain between the two.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Tim Laubacher said...

I'm just hoping you have some time this summer to work on the AI related project we've been talking about.

The preliminary stuff is almost complete, so we can finally do something interesting with it!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pressure much?

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home