Saturday, September 24, 2005

The Land of Entrapment


There is at least one thing I have learned during my travels in academe. No matter where you are, the kids who grow up there want to move somewhere "better." This was true in New Mexico, where many wanted to escape the "Land of Entrapment." Although the economy stinks, you cannot buy 330 sunny days a year. Trust me. It has now been 6 years since I left New Mexico, and I sure wish I could go back. The picture shown here (when Blogger's upload is fixed) is from my dad in Las Cruces. It was taken Sept. 23, 2005. This is Picacho Peak, west of Las Cruces. It's hard not to like this.

Of course, there is a downside to New Mexico. Just a few hours after this picture was taken, the NMSU Aggies took on the California Bears on national TV. The stadium seats more than 30,000. About 11,500 showed up. Arrgh. How often does national TV come to town? Still, once the desert mountains become a part of you, your thoughts will never be far from them.

My dad's first job out of school was in New Mexico. His career took him to bigger markets. It took 4 decades to get back. I hope I don't have to wait that long.

2 Comments:

Blogger IUAngelini said...

That is a gorgeous picture. I do see why you miss it so much.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now I see what you mean. and what you have been saying all along has more meaning. a picture really is worth many words.

you keep talking about the sun - but for me, i'd love to see those sunsets and sunrises.

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home