Sunday, February 04, 2007

Watching Super Bowl Ads 'On Duty'


I watched the Super Bowl as an ad critic today. On Friday, a reporter from the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal called and asked whether I would watch and give them a top 3, worst 3, and overall remarks. After getting over the shame of being their second choice, I agreed.

So I logged every ad. I paid attention to which ads made me laugh and which ads made my wife, Emily, laugh. She here are my Top 3 and Bottom 3.

Top 3
1. Bud Light: Rock, Paper, Scissors
2. Bud Light: Fist Bump
3. T Mobile: Charles Barkley as Dwayne Wade’s "dad"

Honorable Mention
CBS: David Letterman and Oprah

Bottom 3
1. Snickers: Two mechanics kissing
2. Sierra Mist Free: Beard comb over
3. Garmin Navigation: Maposaurus


Here are my concluding thoughts, which were primed by a great Super Bowl TV network post by my colleague Rob Potter:

CBS was another huge winner that will not occur to most people. I counted dozens of promotions for CBS shows, many of which already top the ratings. The promotional spot with David Letterman and Oprah in Colts and Bears jerseys was among my favorite spots of the night. CBS promos were everywhere. CBS came out of the halftime show promoting 5 straight CBS programs and specials.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger H. said...

I can't believe you thought the cruel and callous face-slapping was funny. Tch. Tch. :)

Maybe A-B can work some rape scenes and/or beheadings into their commercials next year...why stop with face-slapping and throwing rocks?

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim in CBus checking in.

I think it's interesting that you talk about watching the Super Bowl commercials "on duty." What's amazing is that this is the one night that most of the nation and many parts of the world tune in to watch these commercials "on duty."

Most advertising must kick and punch to fight through the clutter. On one night in February, for many viewers, the ads take center stage. I'm a football fanatic, as you know, and even I notice how the commercials become a bigger spectacle than the game for many.

It's the rare opportunity for brands to have a captive audience.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Samuel D. Bradley said...

I like physical comedy. Sue me.

And the rest of the world was not "on duty" unless they sat and logged every ad on a pad of paper complete with description and approximate rating.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then I guess it could be said that you were the only one not "on duty" because you couldn't fully appreciate the ads when logging your scores, rankings, and whatever else.

Or, you could say I'm just a pain who likes to argue.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Samuel D. Bradley said...

The joy of TiVo. :) Pause after ads, catch up while players break the huddle.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home