Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Teaching Effectiveness

Universities can be wonderful places ... if one takes advantage of the resources available. I happened to notice a link for Faculty/TA development the other day on the OSU Web site. The site listed many interesting resources. Since I will be teaching the largest class of my career this autumn, I scheduled a conference this morning to seek out tips on teaching.

The meeting was excellent, and I picked up several useful tips on making a big class better for everyone. I left with several handouts and even a book checked out from the faculty development library.

Among other things, I will be incorporating tips from the National Board of Medical Examiners on how to make multiple-choice tests better at gauging critical thinking. All-in-all, I am impressed with the resources available at OSU, and I am optimistic that my class will be better because of it. Sitting on the other side of the room, I continue to be amazed at how oblivious I was to the work that goes into teaching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home