Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Joe Consumer Still Not Mass Content Provider

I have used this space to criticize past proclamations of media consumers as major content creators.

As I read again about the Hillary Clinton-based parody of the Apple 1984 commercial, I felt myself begin to be swayed. This ad might have a profound effect on the campaign. Perhaps I was wrong.



Then I read on. The ad was created by Phillip de Vellis, a Democrat and Obama supporter, according to CNN.com. Not so fast, my friend. De Vellis is no ordinary media user. Until the 1984 ad, de Vellis worked for Blue State Digital, an Internet company that provides technology to presidential campaigns, including Obama's.

Oops. Not exactly an outsider. Just a free-lancing insider. And that's not quite a media revolution.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree to some extent. But... you could say that the average person has made Youtube as powerful as it is, and because of this powerful network, the Ad created by an insider will thrive.

I guess it's like saying the average person has helped to create something so powerful that insiders (advertisors, campaign strategists, etc.) can now use it to influence everyone.

I just typed in a circle, I know, but the topic is interesting.

- Tim of the Anonymity.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what tangled webs we weave, when first we practice to deceive.

Not new for politicos!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Samuel D. Bradley said...

I agree that Youtube has provided an interesting outlet. But the vast majority of Americans still do not have the capability to create content.

I teach advertising students, and we have the facilities. And it's still difficult to provide them the skills to offer some semblance of video production.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home